Monday, January 08, 2007

Our inside jokes

(originally written 9/29/06)

Every couple has them or should have them. Things that only you two think are hilarious, things no one else could get.

I wish I could explain why each and every one of these lines would end up with Deb and me in hysterics, but dissecting humor, I think Woody Allen said, is like dissecting a frog. You find out how it works, but something is lost in the translation.

I'm going to miss having these easy laughs in my life. Yet another loss to mourn.

Here are some of ours.

1. "I don't wanna go to Epcot! I wanna go to the water park!"
2. "Smile. OK, now mean it."
3. "Let me think about it again. No. Wait, I've still got time to think about it again. No."
4. "Yeah, and Sarah isn't neurotic."
5. "Remind me to pick up some food for the coyotes on the way home."
6. "This one's from your mother." "How can you tell?"
7. "Dried fruit."
8. "What did you do to that cat?"
9. "It's a forest back there."
10. "Oops, I just said hail to the chief."

I'm not cynical enough to admit that in heaven, the first thing I want to hear when I get there is Deb saying, "I wanna go to the water park!" And my response will be, "Smile. OK, now mean it."

After that, it's all gravy.

No comments: