Monday, January 08, 2007

Equal time

(originally written 10/03/06)

I told an embarrassing story on Deb, so it's only fair I tell one on myself.

On a date we went ice skating, and it was the first time I'd ever been on any kind of skates. Deb had roller-skated, so she was one up on me. Eventually, we were able to get around the rink, but so slowly that some little punk girl, probably around 5, skated around us going, "I can skate better than you can."

Stopped wanting kids right then and there.

Anyway, it was time to bring out the Zamboni, and we were on the far side of the ice. Deb got back across, no problem. Me ... not so much. So some employee had to come out and get me.

There I was, 35 years old, having to be hauled back across the ice by holding on to this guy's belt as he skated across.

If it hadn't been for the fact that it was on that date that Deb and I first kissed, I would try to block it out of my mind.

And, no, I haven't skated since.

No comments: