Saturday, October 12, 2019

Spiritual Therapy

So I’ve got cancer.

Where is God?

I think that’s a natural question to ask. I think I could be forgiven for feeling put upon. There are drug users, sex offenders and other criminals who probably deserve a good dose of cancer. Why me? Why as I singled out?

Honestly, I haven’t had that question yet. Maybe I will. For now, like I said a couple of posts back, it just feels like my turn. My mother, my wife, then me.

Do I blame God? No, because I believe He spared me. Why would He give me a disease then save me from it?

Who do I blame? No one. Something in my body chemistry just went rogue and here I am.

So, where is God while this is going on?

Right here. Carrying my fear. Reminding me I have reasons to go on. Giving me a chance to have a future.

I won’t pretend to be a very good Christian. I’m still relearning to walk the path. I’m as unsteady on my spiritual legs as I am on my physical ones.

I’m reading the Bible and listening to sermons to learn. I hope it acts like spiritual therapy in tandem with my physical therapy.

While you’re praying for me to overcome this disease, please pray for me to be stronger with God as well. That’s what really matters.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Prayers ongoing Tim. I've been a Christian my whole life, a good one, a bad one, but the fact that you have God on your side, just waiting for you to need him, that's more than any of us deserve. We are all different and we all serve a purpose, sometimes it's clear, sometimes it's not, but God knows, He uses us to His highest good.

T.C. said...

Amen. God’s love is beautiful.

Guy Fain said...

Tim, we haven’t seen each other since 8th grade. I was envious of how smart you are and as I tried to compete with you in grade achievement you usually edged me out. I remember your smile and your good-natured personality. As a follower of Christ, I know God has a plan for all of us. I know that the Father does not desert His children, but it doesn’t mean that His children will not face trials, persecution, illness, death, sadness, or other challenges. It simply means that He will be with His children in every aspect of their lives, supporting them, comforting them, giving them peace, and reminding them that He lives them. Because we live in a creation that sin has made less than what it was intended to be, we will face these trials, and they may end with a result we do not like. However, followers of Christ can have peace knowing that their Father will be with them and never forsake them. I pray for healing for you, and at the same time I pray for peace for you from God the Father through His Son Jesus Christ.