Friday, October 18, 2019

So long, Tampa

The time has come to depart.

It’s hard to believe I’ve been a Tampa resident for 15 years. When I came here to work at The Tampa Tribune, the future seemed so bright. Newspapers were flourishing so much I was actually flown out for an interview. I had gotten married only a couple of months before.

It all seemed ahead of us.

Then Deb got breast cancer. She died in 2006.

The Tribune took longer to expire, but it’s gone now too.

It hasn’t been all bad. I made some friends, had some good times. Learned about life, tried a few things. You know: lived.

You can’t be somewhere for 15 years and not have it rub off on you. Besides my birthplace, I’ve spent the largest chunk of my life here. I’ve gone to Rays games, stood in front of Dali masterpieces, watched dolphins romp.

Now it’s time for me to go. Hopefully not for good, but that’s up to God.

To all of you here who have made my life better, thank you and may the Lord protect you till we meet again.

Adios, Tampa.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you aren't going to be alone. I'm sorry for yet another thing to deal with and things to have to give up. I'm praying for the best for you every day.

Unknown said...

Best Wishes Tim.