Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Hospital Hijinx

Don’t take breathing for granted. I’ve learned my lesson.

I was released from St. Joe’s this afternoon after the doctors drew off still more fluid from my chest. I can breathe again, but when I do it feels like I hit a wall when I get going. It will probably take a day or so for the lungs to get closer to normal size.

Last night in the hospital wasn’t as bad as I feared it would be. Sure, I was woken up at 4 am when my roommate apparently pulled out his catheter and it took a while to clean him up, but the nursing staff was very kind (heck, one of them was named Angel) and attentive. Plus having access to the good pain medication for a night was a blessing.

Plus the hospital food is so much better than the frozen dinners I’ve had recently. With my leg, it’s not so easy to whip up a decent dinner, so I’ve been relying on icy entrees. Bleh. So a breakfast of scrambled eggs and home fries, then a lunch of chicken parmy and grilled vegetables tops whatever imitation food stuff that comes out of the microwave.

Yes, I just praised hospital food. I almost wish I’d stayed another night.

Even the bed was comfortable. The one from my previous stay had a bad crease right where my butt would go when I sat up. Not this one. 

There was a big bummer when I turned on the TV and realized I had cable for a night, only to find Comedy Central was airing episodes of The Office from after Michael left. It was like being told you won tickets to a concert by a former Beatle and it turns out to be Pete Best.

So I’m back home. For now. I expect this won’t be my last trip, even my last brush with pleural effusion. Just hoping it will take a while. I could use a timeout.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for a time out. I hate what you are going through, but I think you should write a book and use all of theses entries
It's so descriptive and so real, it may help someone else starting out on the same type of journey. You are a very talented writer
I love to write, but have always done other jobs and my inspiration comes and goes. It usually goes out the window with chaos and right now things are starting to iron themselves out so maybe I'll be on am upswing soon. πŸ’œπŸ™πŸ’œπŸ™πŸ™

T.C. said...

Thank you for your kind words. I’m writing to get the thoughts swirling in my head into some kind of order. I am proud that I’m being told it’s making an impression or that it could help someone else. Maybe once I get to a more settled place in life I can work on that book. You’re very kind, and thank you for letting me know what you think!