Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The story never ends

I went on the Barenaked Ladies cruise again this year, and like last year I had one of those moments where I was acutely aware that someone who should have been there wasn't.

I was at the stern of the boat (that's the back end for you landlubbers), looking at the moon reflect off the water, and I missed Deb. She should have been there, and we should have been holding hands.

In an earlier post, you can read about how on last year's cruise I was missing her and somehow pictures of her turned up on my camera.

The next day, I was looking for my watch, which I stashed in the luggage after we got to the airport so I wouldn't have to worry about it going through security and I found this in the pocket of my suitcase:




It's the friendship ring I gave to her our second Christmas together to make up for the mood ring I gave her on the first.

Since she died, I have looked everywhere for it. I was going to put it with the engagement ring and wedding band in her ashes. Afterward, I presumed it got lost in one of the moves.

What are the odds it would turn up just when I needed to see it the most?

Even now, she amazes me.

No comments: