Saturday, July 07, 2007

Survivor

I am a cancer survivor.

No, I didn't have the chemicals pumped through my veins, but I went through chemotherapy.

No, I didn't have radiation shot at my chest, but I went through radiation therapy.

No, I didn't take the drug cocktails, but I went through drug treatment.

I held Deb's hand through the whole thing. I gave her as much of my strength as I could. When she was in pain, I comforted her. When she was in need, I attended to her. When cancer took her away, I felt the loss.

And I'm still here.

I won't accept congratulations for it, though. Congratulations are for those lucky enough to have cancer visited on them and survived. Congratulations are for those who stand by their loved ones and have them to hold when it's all over.

I've had people tell me how brave and strong I was to go through this thing with Deb, how others might have run away. Even Deb would tell me that, and she would thank me for it.

I never accepted her thanks or anyone's applause. That would have been wrong.

I know there are people who have run away and abandoned those who love them at the time they needed them the most. I've heard enough horror stories from being in the news business to know there are people like that.

For me, though, it was never a choice. I loved Deb, and for me to be anywhere else but by her side was unthinkable. Being with her was as necessary for my survival as it was for her to be with me. You can't thank a person for doing what was in their best interest.

The only title or honor I will ever accept is that of survivor. I went through the worst thing that I will ever through, and I'm still here. I don't fear what comes next, because nothing can be as bad as what I've been through. In fact, chances are it'll be better.

I'm a survivor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what I'm hearing you say is:

You don't deserve any special congratulations because, for you, it was never a choice. You didn't have to make any special, momentous decisions requiring any special qualities on your part, because for any ordinary, decent human being, it was clear from the beginning what you had to do.

"Is that not what anyone would do?"

I will agree to withhold my congratulations because, well, for YOU, you did nothing all that special. You did what YOU always do. Nothing out of character in this case.

But, YOU are pretty much one-of-a-kind, my friend, and I wouldn't expect most people on this planet to BE what YOU ordinarily ARE.