Monday, February 12, 2007

Things I miss this Valentines Day (and every day)

  1. Deb's saying, "I love you, sweetie."
  2. Her saying, "Honey, I'm hooooome!"
  3. Her smile.
  4. The fake smile she gave when I told her to smile.
  5. The even faker smile she gave when I told her to mean it.
  6. Her kiss.
  7. The way her hand felt on mine.
  8. The mole.
  9. Her hugs.
  10. The feeling when she'd keep hugging me when I would stop.
  11. The feeling I had when I didn't want to stop hugging when she did.
  12. The whistle she gave when she caught me on the way to the shower.
  13. Her "puppy dog eyes" look.
  14. Her "hur-hur-hur" laugh.
  15. Her girlish giggle.
  16. Her naughty giggle.
  17. Any of her laughs.
  18. Her blue eyes.
  19. The look she gave me that made me feel like I was the only man in the world.
  20. The joking way she said, "Yes, dear," like a old lady.
  21. Her booty.
  22. The way she said, "Thank you for putting up with me," like it was a hardship.
  23. The feel of her caress on my face as I'd lean in for a kiss.
  24. The way she'd prance when she pretended to be a model.
  25. Her singing in the car, especially during "Bohemian Rhapsody," when she'd sing the high parts and I'd sing bass.
  26. The way my hand felt when I slipped it under her leg while I was driving.
  27. Her dancing.
  28. The way she'd sing at concerts, like she didn't care if anyone else was around.
  29. The way we'd dance during "Call and Answer" at Barenaked Ladies concerts.
  30. Folding her clothes when I did the laundry.
  31. Watching her sleep.
  32. The way the top of her head felt under my chin when she stood in front of me.
  33. Her karaoke dance (it's impossible to describe ... it was full-body singing)
  34. Her giggle when I nibbled on her ear.
  35. Her cooking.
  36. The way she'd scratch my back.
  37. That almost invisible scar she had near her upper lip where she had a mole removed.
  38. The way she'd get obsessed over one videogame and play it constantly, then just drop it one day.
  39. How she'd start knitting projects then set them aside and never finish them. The important thing was she kept trying.
  40. The way she'd always say, "I miss the kitties," whenever we were gone from the house more than a couple of hours.
  41. The way she'd say "I miss Boo," ever since that cat died.
  42. The way she'd call for capital punishment for people who abused their animals on those animal rescue shows on "Animal Planet."
  43. Washing her back.
  44. Filling her water bottle when she was too weak to get out of bed.
  45. The way she flashed her 1/2-carat engagement ring around like it was 20 carats.
  46. How she'd go with me to baseball games, even though she wasn't even sure what teams were on the field.
  47. Fixing her coffee, and how she'd tell me I made a mean cup of coffee for someone who didn't drink it himself.
  48. The way she'd wiggle her eyebrows when she said something naughty.
  49. Having someone who knows why "You look good in anything" is the all-purpose answer to all of life's questions.
  50. The way she'd whine, "Awww, Riiiicky!" after I'd say, "Looocy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"
  51. Opening the car door for her.
  52. Telling each other, "Valentine's Day is for amateurs."
  53. Fixing her ramen.
  54. The way she'd sing along with the Winnie the Pooh ride at Disney World.
  55. The way she stuffed her jacket pockets with things because she didn't want to carry a purse.
  56. The way she'd play on the computer until it was almost time to go to work even though I'd nag her about the time, and she'd have me microwave a Hot Pocket as she hopped in the shower to gobble before she went to work.
  57. Calling her "Girlie-Girl."
  58. Her saying "Mini Cooper" every time we passed one.
  59. The way she'd have me fill out an Amazon wish list so she'd know what to get me for Christmas.
  60. Her trying to explain soap opera storylines to me when I was silly enough to ask what was going on.
  61. Buying her DVDs she said she wanted but she'd never open them.
  62. Having her pick out clothes for me at the store.
  63. Having her thank me by saying, "You're the bestest hubby in the world, you know that?"
  64. Finding a strand of her hair on my clothes.
  65. How Kraft macaroni and cheese was her favorite dish.
  66. Her snoring.
  67. How she delighted in telling gruesome tales from her days on the crime beat at the Miami Herald, then would coo over a cat food commercial.
  68. How she called soap operas "her stories," like she was an 80-year-old woman.
  69. Standing next to her at our bedroom window in Colorado Springs, watching the fireworks off Pikes Peak on New Years Eve.
  70. Waking up beside her and us vowing never to leave the bed ever again.
  71. Calling her on my dinner break, even if there was nothing to talk about.
  72. Holding her jacket when she went clothes shopping, and her telling me, "At least I'm not making you play Purse Boy."
  73. Hearing her exclaim "Tigger!" when we spotted him at Disney World.
  74. Finding her staring at me, and when I asked her why, she'd say, "I'm checking out my hubby. Nothing wrong with that, is there?"
  75. Staring at her, and when she asked me why, I'd say, "I'm checking out my girl. Nothing wrong with that, is there?"
  76. How half a glass of wine would get her tipsy.
  77. Having her tell me, "If it wasn't for you, I'd be curled up in a ball somewhere," and knowing the same was true for me.
  78. Waiting up til midnight on Christmas Eve to open presents.
  79. Hearing her whine, "I don't wanna go to work. I only go because they pay me. If they didn't pay me, I wouldn't go."
  80. Our ritual when I came home from work. Her: "How was your day?" Me: "WAAAAAH!!!" Her: "Same as usual, huh?"
  81. How she had a couple dozen pairs of shoes, but always ended up wearing the $6 pair from Wal-Mart.
  82. How she'd refer to our current president as "The Moron" or "The Idiot."
  83. Watching her guzzle down bottled water like a camel.
  84. Having her correct me when I told her she guzzled down bottled water like a camel, because camels can go for months without water and can store up to 20 gallons, and therefore don't need to guzzle water.
  85. Her fuzzy black jacket.
  86. Her talking about how we were going to do things "in 10 or 12 years," even towards the end.
  87. Having her say, "Do you want to be left alone?" and having her understand when the answer was "Yes."
  88. Hearing about her dreams.
  89. Telling her, "You make me happy."
  90. Her smell on the pillow.
  91. Slipping my hand into her back pocket.
  92. Having her sleep while I drove, knowing it meant she trusted me.
  93. Knowing to hand her six packets of sugar whenever she asked for it in a restaurant, because I knew that's how many she put in her coffee.
  94. Having her tell me, "How did I get so lucky?"
  95. Her "Huked On Fonix Werked Fur Mee!" T-shirt.
  96. Watching her with small children.
  97. Running my thumb over her chin when I held her face.
  98. Her nibbling on my ear.
  99. The feel of her head on my shoulder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, you gave Deb your heart, and she kept it and she cherished it.

But I think that maybe - just maybe - because of her love for you, when she was done, she gave it back to you so you can give it away again someday.

T.C. said...

Thank you. Perhaps, but it'll need some mending first.

Anonymous said...

Very likely.

Because of your tender and heartfelt - and sometimes heartbreaking - blog, some of us feel as though we've finally had the chance to know a little bit about this wonderful person named Deb. Because of what you have shared, I've finally met her, though I never got to really meet her...

You knew her far better than I did, of course, but this seems true: her most precious possession on this earth was something that YOU gave to her: Your heart.

So, when it was time for her to go, what - in her eyes - could be the most special gift that she could give back to you? The thing that she cherished & loved the most, of course: Your heart.

It was time for her to go. It wasn't yours. And with the short time you had together, you enriched her life at least as much as she enriched yours.

You knew her best, so maybe you can ask her yourself. On a warm Florida spring day, late into the afternoon, when the air is calm, the scent of the flowers is sweet, and your thoughts are quiet, ask her.

I think I know what the answer will be, old friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh to know a love like that....

The keeper of the body heavenly